WHO WE ARE
SUEZ in North America operates across all 50 states and Canada with 6,700 employees dedicated to environmental sustainability and smart and sustainable resource management. The company provides drinking water, wastewater and waste collection service to 6.4 million people on a daily basis; treats over 600 million gallons of water and over 450 million gallons of wastewater each day; delivers water treatment and advanced network solutions to 16,000 industrial and municipal sites; processes 55,000 tons of waste for recycling; and rehabilitates and maintains water assets for more than 4,000 municipal and industrial customers. The company is a subsidiary of Paris-based SUEZ.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
Responsible for the operation, routine servicing and care of a wide variety of specialized equipment and apparatus in a plant/treatment facility including pumps, motors, chemical preparation and feeding; physical, chemical and biological treatment and/or water treatment processes; control equipment and monitoring equipment. Maintains records of operations, completes and submits routine and special reports as assigned. Inspects all mechanical equipment for proper operation, performs normal lubrication, adjustments, seal packing, minor maintenance and minor repairs as necessary. Performs related field and laboratory tests, which are necessary to monitor and control the facilities, and makes necessary adjustments to equipment, processes and chemical feeders, as test results may indicate and as instructed by the Supervisor. Operates and assists in repairs to water systems and plants. Trains other employees in the operation and maintenance of the facilities including maintenance, repairs, laboratory work and safety as required.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
High School Diploma or GED
New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection T-2 License (at minimum)
Possession of valid New Jersey driver’s license.
Work Experience Needed:
Must have a strong technical knowledge of, and hands-on experience working in the operation of advanced water treatment plant facilities on an assigned shift. Must be flexible and enjoy a diversity of responsibilities. Through knowledge of the operating characteristics and maintenance requirements of water treatment plants: knowledge of electrical and electronic systems: knowledge of hydraulic, chemical and mechanical principles pertinent to water treatment plant operations; through knowledge of occupational hazards of the work and the necessary safety precautions; ability to operate a computer and other electronic devises relative to the operation of the plants, troubleshooting malfunctions and recording data; ability to detect flaws in the operation of mechanical equipment and to determine proper remedial measures; ability to conduct water quality testing, validations and all other necessary water quality instrumentation use/maintenance; ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions; ability to work in adverse conditions; skill in the proper operation and care of a variety of specialized water equipment/materials/tools.
Special Skills/Abilities Needed:
• Strong knowledge of mechanical, hydraulic, chemical principles.
• Knowledge of applicable health and safety regulations, practices, procedures and water quality monitoring practices.
• Ability to interpret mechanical drawings, layouts, wiring diagrams, logic drawings, P&ID’s, technical manuals and specifications.
• Capable of completing written operating procedures, work requests and other documentation completion.
• Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks efficiently.
• Ability to diagnose abnormalities in complex controls, interlocked control schemes and other operating systems.
• Experience performing maintenance and operational tasks of substantial variety and complexity without close technical supervision.
• Experience interfacing with Computer Maintenance Management Systems.
• Strong communications (written/verbal).
• Ability to prepare/communicate orally and in writing and interact effectively and diplomatically with management and/or bargaining unit employees as well as regulators, consultants, municipal officials, health officers, customers, contractors, and the general public.
• Computer and software usage as required by the position.
• Ability to work with peers as a team player.
• Ability to work alone and without direct supervision.
Essential Functions: Physical: Ability to perform work which requires strenuous physical exertion for such activities as climbing, lifting objects weighing over 50 pounds, crouching or crawling in restricted areas. Ability to sit, stand and walk for long periods of time. Must be physically able to complete necessary tasks wearing an approved respirator as required, as some required work may have potential for exposure to harmful environments, noise, etc.
Sensory: Ability to be able to speak, see clearly and hear.
Mental: Must be able to read and write. Ability to learn and apply new water industry technology.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.